Dalmarnock Road Bridge is one of the eight bridges over the River Clyde in central Glasgow. It is the most easterly of the bridges and joins Dalmarnock on the north side of the river and Rutherglen on the south.
Originally there was a ford at Dalmarnock, then in 1821 a timber pay bridge was built. Another timber bridge replaced it in 1848. Dalmarnock had become a district of Glasgow in 1846. The present bridge was built in 1891 by the engineers Crouch and Hogg and was the first bridge over the Clyde to have a flat road surface. It comprises five elegant spans supported by concrete-filled wrought-iron cylinders. It was refurbished in 1997, but many of the original Gothic parapets were retained.
The bridge is haunted by the ghost of a man who committed suicide there. He has been seen by many reliable witnesses, who all describe the victim as a solid and normal-looking man about 30 years old with short hair, wearing a navy three-quarter length coat and black trousers. As he stands on the bridge, staring into the clyde. people have mistakn him fir a real person who is about to commit suicide. But then he jumps off the bridge and vanishes into thin air ... until the next time he decides to give a fright to a passing motorist.Bridge | Dayton | Dundee | Emily | Farndon | Newton Falls | North England | Wakefield |
Web Design Bradford | email@example.com | Tel: 01274 729 280
770 pages of ghost information.
Copyright © 2005-2013 Eleventh Floor Ltd. All Rights Reserved.