Archbishop Simon Sudbury had a tower named after him, the Sudbury Tower, belonging to the cathedral. Its purpose was to defend Canterbury against the mobs. However, in 1381 Wat Tyler led a group of Kentish men, stormed the tower and murdered the Archbishop, and from that moment, Simon Sudbury's ghost continued to cling to its position in the tower.
We know this because a certain cobbler had his workshop in the tower and he described the ghost of Simon very specifically as 'tall with a nice, fresh complexion and a square cut, grey beard', which doesn't sound very ghostly. People say the Archbishop continues to haunt the tower because his head was separated from his body and buried in Sudbury, while the rest of him remained interred in the cathedral. Canterbury | Galway | Hall Place |
Web Design Bradford | email@example.com | Tel: 01274 729 280
770 pages of ghost information.
Copyright © 2005-2013 Eleventh Floor Ltd. All Rights Reserved.